May 2021 Special instructions for SMArchS Thesis Students
SMArchS thesis students should consult right away with your thesis advisor to discuss a plan for completing the remainder of your thesis work, taking into account the loss of access to MIT facilities. The scope of thesis will vary from student to student, so it will be up to you and your advisor, in consultation with the SMArchS coordinator for your group (see list at the bottom of this page), to determine what alterations may be required. Note that thesis is considered instruction, and therefore thesis advising must be conducted online like all other classes.
May 2021 Theses Deadlines
Friday, June 12, 2020
- Registration: Summer term registration (4.THG).
- Degree list: Put yourself on the September degree list by applying for a degree.
No scheduled mid-review in summer.
- Mid-review: You and your advisor should determine the format and the timing of your mid-review which like all other instruction after TBA, must be conducted online
Friday, July 10, 2020
- Register your final thesis title: You must return to the online site of your application and add or make a change to your thesis title by this deadline. The title on your final thesis must be an exact match of the one you submit on your Application for Degree. If you add your title after this date, you will be charged a late fee; but you may still update your thesis title until the actual submission date.
Week of July 20, 2020, or date to be determined by you and your advisor
- You should make plans for your thesis defense in consultation with your thesis advisor(s) and reader(s). This defense is necessary for evaluation and grading of your thesis.
Friday, May 14, 2021
- The most important deadline is Friday, May 14, the deadline for submitting your thesis book. This is the Institute requirement for the SMArchS degree and will indicate the completion of thesis work for your degree.
- The week that the thesis is due for submittal upload the final document to the Thesis Submission website for formatting review. This is for the purpose of making certain the document is in compliance with MIT archive requirements. You will be contacted quickly if adjustments are needed.
Formatting, Specifications, & Thesis Submission
Important: Consult the Formatting, Specifications and Thesis Submission information page.
SMArchS Thesis Contacts
- SMArchS Director: Timothy Hyde
- SMArchS Degree Administrator: Cynthia Stewart
- SMArchS assistant: Kathaleen Brearley
- SMArchS thesis submission: Cynthia Stewart and Tonya Miller
- SMArchS discipline group coordinators: