Spring 2022 Theses Deadlines
Friday, January 21, 2022
- Submit proposal: Submit signed thesis proposal to Tessa Haynes.
January 24-28, 2022 Registration Week
- Register for thesis: Register for undergraduate thesis, 4.THU, for 12 units only if an approved thesis proposal was submitted.
Wednesday, March 16, 2022
- Midterm Review
Friday, April 22, 2022
- Final draft: Provide the final draft of your thesis to your supervisor and reader.
Monday, May 2, 2022
- Initial thesis submission: Upload your final thesis document to the department portal.
- If you are having difficulty when logged into Office 365 or Sharepoint under a different log in, try clearing your cache on your browser so that you can log in to the form with your MIT Kerberos account.
Friday, May 6, 2022
- Final thesis submission (unless initial submission already approved): Final, corrected, approved, electronic version uploaded to the department portal.
The senior thesis is intended for students who wish to culminate their education with a challenge that would demand advanced work and reward them with portfolio material and developed viewpoints on a topic of importance. It is required for the Bachelor of Science in Art and Design (4B) and optional for the Bachelor of Science in Architecture (4). When optional, it can be used to fulfill 12 units of unrestricted elective requirements.
The nature of the work may be an original research or design project that involves additional learning of a substantive nature. The work must be documented with a written thesis, completed to institute specifications, within the final term of the senior year. The final document is is submitted by STOA to DSpace where it is archived in the MIT Library.
Thesis preparation subjects are taken the fall prior to registering for thesis and will assist students in preparing a thesis proposal and choosing a supervisor.
- At the start of the spring thesis term, students are responsible for setting a schedule of meetings with their thesis supervisor to make steady progress. Remember that the thesis receives only 12 credits, so the scale of the project needs to be compatible with amount of time allotted (approx. 12 hrs/wk).
We ask that you submit digital information and images about your thesis by no later than April 15, 2022 for the purpose of preparing an online Review Pamphlet. See further instructions below.
- A final draft of the thesis should be presented to the supervisor at least two weeks prior to the thesis deadline. This allows supervisors to provide critical comments and for you to make adjustments prior to finalizing the thesis document for submittal.
- The week that the thesis is due for submittal upload the final document to the department portal for formatting review. This is for the purpose of making certain the document is in compliance with MIT archive requirements. You will be contacted quickly if adjustments are needed.
- Upon satisfactory completion of the thesis, the supervisor will assign a grade. The grade will not be submitted to the Registrar until the approved final thesis document is submitted to the department portal by the thesis deadline provided on the Institute Academic Calendar — see the Final Thesis Submission tab on the Formatting, Specifications, Copyright & Submission page for more information.
BSA / BSAD Thesis Contacts
- Undergraduate degree administrator and thesis submission: Tessa Haynes